In this issue
As the month of February came to an end and my favorite month of March is upon us, I find myself reflecting on the accomplishments of our industry. Many of those accomplishments are directly because of your membership and the National Association that leads our association. While we are here in Arizona, the folks in Washington, D.C. are meeting with various members of congress, starting or offering advice to coalitions and working hard to keep us educated along the way and doing a phenomenal job. There were 18 of us from Arizona that joined NAHU in D.C for this past annual Capitol Conference. If you have not been, you should absolutely consider making the trip next February. Now more than ever, I know our membership dollars and HUPAC contributions are worth every penny and then some. What NAHU has done for our industry is invaluable and what they are working on with this 116th Congress is so important and necessary we need to continue to do all that we can to support their efforts.
NAHU puts out a federal policy success brochure annually and here are a couple of the successes:
- NAHU lobbied for and successfully secured full repeal of the Cadillac AND Health Insurance Tax (HIT). It’s estimated that those two taxes combined would have cost insurance consumers over $347 billion dollars.
- They lobbied for and were successful in preserving the employer tax exclusion. The victory allows employers to continue to pay for health insurance benefits for their employees without them being taxable to the employee.
- They lobbied for and successfully secured repeal of the auto enrollment for groups of over 200 employees.
- Medicare lobbying continues for considering COBRA to be creditable coverage and the observation stays to be counted toward the three-day mandatory inpatient stay for Medicare coverage of a skilled nursing facility.
- Successful lobbying in lifting the restriction on Flexible spending accounts, 10 years of funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), etc.
- NAHU became a founding member of the Coalition Against Surprise Medical Billing. In addition, submitted comments on the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s, “No Surprises Act” and the Senate HELP Committee’s “Lower Health Care Cost Act”.
While these are just a few of the wins and goals being worked on in D.C. rest assured your membership dollars are supporting an amazing association that has measurable and impacting results. I encourage you to ask the people you do business with, i.e. carrier representatives, agents/brokers, etc. if they are members of the Greater Phoenix Association of Health Underwriters (GPAHU). If not, why not? The work will not stop and each one of us can help by increasing the membership in our association. The more members we have, the more support goes to our National Association and the bigger impact Arizona provides. Win Win. If you would like assistance speaking about the association, ask a board member to have a conversation with them. Invite a potential member to a luncheon. Simply start the conversation and if you need back up, we’re here.
If you are not familiar with or contributing to HUPAC, NAHU’s political action committee, please consider donating. The mission of HUPAC is to raise funds from NAHU members for the purpose of supporting the political campaigns of candidates who believe in private sector solutions for the health and financial security of all Americans. To learn more and contribute: https://hupac.nahu.org. If you are already a contributor, please consider increasing your annual donation and ask others to donate or increase their donations. Our Region in addition to the state of Arizona and Greater Phoenix was recognized at Capitol Conference for our contributions for 2019. Region VII was awarded the Highest Percentage of Increased Contributions, the State of Arizona (AAHU) was awarded the Highest Percentage of Contributing members and GPAHU also won for the Highest Percentage of Contributing members. While the win was exciting, as a chapter we are only at 21%. Let’s see if we can exceed that number for 2020! INSERT PICTURE>
I appreciate and value the opportunity to support this Association and am honored to serve as the GPAHU President. Thank you again for your membership and as always, the board is here to serve you. If you have any questions, comments, etc. please reach out. I can be reached via email [email protected].
January: Archie Lovato, Loren Martinez, Lauren Milner, Scott Sandler
February: Jesus Arenas, Todd Bookout, Nicholas Gates, Elijah Hernandez, Tim Martin, Warren Pitman, Kylie Staples
Chandler Chavez was born and raised in Monterey Bay, California. She went to Santa Catalina from Pre-K to her senior year of high school. She attended University of Oregon for 2 years and then transferred down to U of A to be closer to her family and benefit from in state tuition!! Home is now in between two states – CO and AZ whichever state is in grow season for the farms.
Chandler has lived in Arizona cince 2014. She graduated from U of A in 2016 and then moved up to Phoenix. Chandler LOVE LOVE LOVE's her fam. She recently traveled to Europe over Christmas and New Year with her parents, sister named Sedona (yes, they both have AZ city names), her grandparents, and herboyfriend Logan! Logan and Chandler live in the Biltmore area with their pup Remington!
Chandler loves taking photos. She used to use a big canon, but now thanks to the new and improved apple phones, she can snap pics all the time – mostly candids of family/friends/Remington. She also loves traveling, skiing, and walks with her sweet princess REMINGTON!!
Chandler has been in the industry since 2016 (she started her first job literally a week after she graduated U of A). She started at Zenefits, then to Paychex, now Principal for the long run!! In the 2nd grade when her teacher asked what she wanted to do when she grow up, Chandler wrote in big letters, SLING BENNIES (just kidding, she says she wasn’t that weird of a child)…Zenefits really put this profession into motion. Chandler loved the speed, the people, and how every day is different. She really can’t see herself doing anything else.
Chandler works in group ancillary benefits – Principal offers the full suite down to 3 lives. Dental, vision, life, long and short term disability, critical illness and accident. Can be either voluntary, contrib, or non-contrib basis.
What is one way you think being an agent/broker provides a positive benefit to clients/individuals? We are helping individuals when they need it most – mostly talking about the disability and life piece. We always strive to do right by the end user.
Tell us a little about why you became a NAHU/GPAHU member?
How did you hear about NAHU/GPAHU (if a specific person recruited you, please let us know their name)? Jessica Cheney brought it up the first time I met her – she pitched it well and I am so happy I joined!
What motivated you to become a NAHU/GPAHU member? The best people are part of the board – we all work really well together and I enjoy our monthly board meetings / strategizing with them to make the GPAHU chapter succeed.
What 2 benefits do you feel are most valuable as part of your membership? Connecting with other members, HUPAC support, public service
What would you tell a potential new member to sell them on becoming a NAHU/GPAHU member? That we are working for the good of our industry – especially in this time, it is important to support political leaders that are in favor of our industry.
How long have you been on the GPAHU Board? This is my first year on the GPAHU Board and I was recruited by Jessica Cheney!!
How did you choose your current board position? I like talking to people, I am very social so I thought it would be a great fit for me.
GPAHU downloads member data from the national site, so update it there and we’ll capture changes that way. To update your information, go to www.nahu.org, click on “Membership”, then “My Account”. You can update your address, email, edit your practice areas, view your member details, billing, add a photo, keep track of new members you brought in, certifications, etc. It’s important to keep this data updated because this is how you will be shown in the Find an Agent tool (https://forms.nahu.org/consumer/findagent2.cfm).
Remember to visit our new website to register for upcoming events.
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS WITH MARCY M. BUCKNER, J.D.
March 17, 2020
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Phoenix Country Club
2901 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85014
March 2020 New Member Orientation
March 17, 2020
1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Phoenix Country Club
2901 N 7th St
Phoenix, AZ 85014
GPAHU has an upcoming Community Service event March 17, 2020 and March 26, 2020. We will be packing meals for Feed My Starving Children. Visit our events page for more information and to register to Volunteer. https://greaterphoenixahu.com/meetinginfo.php
For more information about the organization we are supporting visit their website at https://www.fmsc.org/
Questions, please contact Justin "Jay" White at [email protected]
As a member, you have access to so many tools to promote yourself and your business.
- Check out the Running Your Business series in NAHU vision. There are informative video’s on everything from checking up on your E & O to Transitioning to a fee-based business. Click here to learn more: https://videos.nahu.org/category/running-your-business.
- You can also check out the “Promote Yourself” tab, under “Resources”, at www.nahu.org.
- Here you will find, infographics that summarize important legislative topics for you and your clients, including Medicare for All means one size fits all care. Infographic is attached to the email version of this newsletter.
- The NAHU Logo for you to share on your letterhead, business cards, or websites.
- Media and Social Media Tools and
- Broker’s Making a Difference. The Brokers Making a Difference website is designed to inform consumers, legislators and the media about the tireless work agents and brokers do in guiding their clients through the complex task of complying with numerous state and federal regulations while choosing and maintaining appropriate coverage at an affordable price. The website includes an interactive map where people can view specific examples of how brokers help their clients and gain a better understanding of the broker’s role as an advocate and educator. This website highlights the vital role of benefit specialists in the health care industry and the value they bring to their clients throughout the year. If you haven’t already, check it out and share your story or ask your clients to share their story about work that you have done on their behalf. http://www.brokersmakingadifference.org/
Earning the Registered Employee Benefits Consultant® (REBC®) designation elevates your credibility as a professional. The field of employee benefits continues to evolve rapidly. A year does not go by without new government regulations, new or modified coverages, and new techniques for controlling benefit costs. To best serve their clients, professionals need to have a current understanding of the provisions, advantages, and limitations associated with each type of benefit or program as a method for meeting economic security. The designation program analyzes group benefits with respect to the ACA environment, contract provisions, marketing, underwriting, rate making, plan design, cost containment, and alternative funding methods. The largest portion of this program is devoted to group medical expense plans that are a major concern to employers, as well as to employees. The remainder of course requirements include electives on topics serving various markets based on a broker’s client needs.
Date: April 23, 2020
Time: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Location: Phoenix Airport Marriott, 1101 N 44th ST, Phoenix, AZ 85008
NAHU 2020 Annual Convention
151 E Upper Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
NAHU is the leading professional association for health insurance agents, brokers, general agents and consultants. We, the members work every day with individuals, families and employers of all sizes to help them purchase health insurance coverage and use that coverage in the best possible way. As a dedicated group of more than 100,000 benefit specialists from across the nation, NAHU advocates on behalf of American health insurance consumers.
Check out what NAHU is working on by clicking here- https://nahu.org/advocacy/legislative-issues. You can also GET ACTIVE and support our national chapter by sending an Operation Shout. You should already be getting a timely email with the operation shout data, but if you aren’t, you can log into the NAHU site, under Advocacy, Click on Operation Shout! Here you will find prepopulated betters to our AZ congress people all ready to go. Click on “Write or Tell” and complete the requested data. It will address the letter to the appropriate person(s), then click on Submit All Letters. An email will be sent directly to the congress people. The more our congress people hear from us, the louder our voice is.
Not contributing to HUPAC? Check out the Levels of Contributions and join us today! https://hupac.nahu.org/contribute-now
- Monthly Credit Card or Bank Draft Amount: $12.00/month
- Annual or One-Time Contribution Amount: $150.00
- Monthly Credit Card or Bank Draft Amount: $30.00/month
- Annual or One-Time Contribution Amount: $365.00
- Monthly Credit Card or Bank Draft Amount: $42.00/month
- Annual or One-Time Contribution Amount: $500.00
- Monthly Credit Card or Bank Draft Amount: $63.00/month
- Annual or One-Time Contribution Amount: $750.00
Why Apply for LPRT?
- Distinguish Yourself
- Exclusive Discounts for LPRT Qualifiers
- Exclusive Training Opportunities
- Develop Peer Networks
Visit https://nahu.org/resources/leading-producers-round-table to learn about how to qualify and the benefits you will receive.
The NAHU Education Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that helps the public stay informed about the public and private health insurance options available to them. The foundation creates educational materials for the American public about private health insurance options, whether consumers are buying health insurance coverage on their own, purchasing coverage through the exchange or signing up for a plan through their employer. The foundation also assists those needing coverage who may be eligible for public programs like Medicare, Medicaid or children’s health insurance programs. Interested in learning more? We were to! Be on the lookout in the coming months with more information and if you are interested in joining our NAHU Education Fund committee, please reach out to Jessica at [email protected].
NAHU's Vanguard Council is excited to offer scholarship opportunities for first-time attendees to the upcoming Capitol Conference in Washington, DC. The only requirement to be eligible for this scholarship is that you have never attended Capitol Conference before, and you submit a short application before the deadline... that's it! There is no age restriction. The number of scholarships available is limited, so make sure your application is complete, detailed and on time!
Click here to apply for the Vanguard Council Capitol Conference Scholarship. The application is very brief and may be done via online application or video submission. Simply tell us how your attendance at Capitol Conference will benefit NAHU, your chapter and/or our industry, as well as what you are hoping to gain personally.
The deadline for submitting applications was 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24.
Did you know that NAHU has a podcast? Click the image below to listen to the lastest episode.
NAHU President's Triple Crown Program
Congratulations to the 2019 Qualifiers!
Interested in sponsoring our next newsletter? Please contact Jessica Cheney at [email protected]